(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Colonial Churches in Pittsylvania County"

STOP 



Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World 

This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in 
the world by JSTOR. 

Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other 
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the 
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries. 

We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this 
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial 
purposes. 

Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/individuals/early- 
journal-content . 



JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people 
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching 
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit 
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please 
contact support@jstor.org. 



COLONIAL CHURCHES IN PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY. 173 



COLONIAL CHURCHES IN PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY. 

(Contributed by Mrs. N. E. Clement, Chatham, Va.) 
From the Vestry Book of Camden Parish. 



At a Vestry held for Camden Parish at Pittsylvania Court- 
house the 14 th day of July 1769. 

Present John Donelson, John Pigg, Hugh Innes, Crispen 
Shelton, George Rowland, John Wilson, Thomas Dillard Junr, 
Abraham Shelton, Theophilus Lacy, and William Witcher 
Vestrymen. 

The Rev d James Stevenson having offered himself as min- 
ister of this Parish the 21** day of February last, is received by 
the Vestry and it is ordered that the usual sallery be paid him 
From the 21"' day of Feby last. (Present James Stevenson). 

Ordered that John Donelson, Crispen Shelton, Thomas 
Dillard Jr. and Abram Shelton do fix on a Proper place between 
Abrahm Sheltons and Thomas Musteen's to let a Church. 

Ordered that a Church be built near where the Chappell 
stands on Snow Creek. 

Ordered that Theophilus Lacy, John Wilson and John Pigg 
or any two of them fix on some convenient place to build a 
church near a good spring below Sam'l Harriss' not to exceed a 
mile from said Harriss. 

Ordered that a Church be built at the most best and con- 
venient spring near the Road Foard of Leatherwood Creek. 

Ordered that a Chappell of Ease be built near to Captain 
Haman Critz's. 

Ordered that a Chappell of Ease be built near to John Wil- 
coxs place on the Pigg River Road convenient to a good spring. 

Ordered that John Donelson, Crispen Shelton, Thomas 
Dillard, jr. and Abram Shelton do let to the Lowest bidder the 



174 VIRGINIA HISTORICAL MAGAZINE. 

building of the church ordered to be built near Tho" Musteens 
the size to be 24 by 32 feet. A framed house with a clapboard 
roof a Plank floor with a Pulpit and desk two doors, five win- 
dows in it 12 feet in the Pitch with a Small Table and Benches 
in it. 

Ordered that Theophilus Lacy John Wilson and John Pigg 
do let to the lowest Bidder the building of the Church near 
Sam'l Harriss the same size of the other thats to be built near 
Tho" Musteens. 

Ordered that Hugh Innes and William Witcher do let to 
the lowest bidder the building of the church ordered to be built 
near Snow Creek Chappell — the size of the Former — 

Ordered that George Rowland, Peter Perkins and Robert 
Chandler do let to the lowest bidder the Church ordered to be 
built near the Road Foard of Leatherwood thecsize of the for- 
mer — 

Ordered that Hugh Innes and William Wicher let to the 
lowest Bidder the Chappell of Ease ordered to be built near 
John Willcoxs place the size to be 24 feet by 20 Round loggs 
for the Body a clap board Roof with Benches &c. 

Ordered that George Rowland and Robert Chandler do let 
to the lowest bidder the Chappell of Ease ordered to be built 
near Captain Haman Critz the same size of the other thats to 
be built near Willcoxs place — 

Ordered that the Rev d James Stevenson preach at Edward 
Smiths instead of Holms Winns, and at Thomas Farris in- 
stead of Abram Shelton. 

Ordered that Lewis Morgan tend at Snow Creek Chappell 
when the Rev d M. Stevenson preaches there and that he read 
Prayers the other Sundays at Wm. Hirds and at Potters Creek 
Schoolhouse. 

Ordered that John King Read prayers at Benjamin Terrys. 

Ordered that Thomas Flowers attend the Rev d James Stev- 
enson when he preaches at the Mayo Chappell and that he read 
prayers the other Sundays at George Rowlands and the horse 
Pasture. 



COLONIAL CHURCHES IN PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY. 175 

Ordered that John Casterson attend the Rev 4 James Stev- 
enson when he preaches at Edward Smiths and that he read 
prayers the other Sundays at George Chadwells — 

Ordered that John Fulton Read the Service of the Church 
of England every Sunday at Sandy River Meetinghouse. 

Ordered that Thomas Dillard Jun r Selicit the Gentlemen 
of the Vestry of Antrim Parish in the Joining them to build a 
house for the poor and nothing further being offered these 
orders were signed by 

James Stenenson Clk. 
George Rowland ....C. W. 
Abram Shelton 
Teste Ben Lankford C. V. C. P. 

At a Vestry held for Cambden Parish at Pittsylvania Court- 
house the 12 th day of September 1769. Present John Pigg, 
John Donelson, Hugh Innes, Crispen Shelton, George Rowland, 
John Wilson, Peter Perkins, Thomas Dillard, Jun. Abram 
Shelton, and William Witcher, Vestrymen. 

The Church to be built by a Former order of Vestry near 
Tho" Musteens be now built at the old muster place between 
Abram Shelton's and Stinking River, if the undertaker will 
agree without any further cost to the Parish. 

The Church that was ordered to be built near the ford of 
Leatherwood by a former order Vestry is now ordered to tbe 
built convenient to a spring near John Acopps that Robert 
Chandler & Peter Copland shall chuse. 

The Chappell of Ease that was to be built by a former order 
of Vestry near Willcox place is now ordered to be built at the 
most convenient spring near the Cross Roads called the Caro- 
lina and Chiswells Roads. 

The Chappell that was to be built near Captain Haman Crites 
by a Former order of Vestry is now ordered to be built conve- 
nient to the first good spring four miles above the said Crites. 
If the undertaker will agree without any further Cost to the 
Parish. 

The Church that was to be built near Sam'l Harris by 
former order of Vestry is now ordered to be built at the most 



176 VIRGINIA HISTORICAL MAGAZINE. 

best and convenient spring between William Munkuser and 
Jacob Whitter's place, if the undertaker will agree without 
any further Expense to the Parish, and nothing further being 
offered these orders were signed by 

Geo. Rowland „..C. W. 

Abra Shelton 
Test Ben Lankford C. V. C. P. 

At a Vestry Meeting held Jan. 26, 1770, the accounts for 
building the above Stated Churches and Chapels were paid, 
showing that the orders for building the Churches were immed- 
iately carried out. 

P. S. I recently found our old Parish Register down in the 
basement of the Courthouse, After 1785 it had been used to 
keep the minutes of the Overseers of the Poor, and up to 1860 
when the book closes, the minutes read "the overseers of the 
Poor of Cambdens Parish." 

Mrs. N. E. Clement.